Dapple Design Shop will be CLOSED FOR CHRISTMAS from December 10, 2016 to January 4, 2017.

Tuesday 25 March 2014

My One and Only Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

My recipe repertoire evolves constantly.  The standby suppers of three years ago have vanished from the menu.  New foods have taken their places.  Tastes change.  Health ideals change.  The rhythms of life change.  Only a handful of recipes survive for the long haul.


My Chocolate Chip Cookies belong to this select group of foods.  The recipe is hand copied on a student-basic ruled index card.  It's not even a full recipe, just a list of ingredients and an oven temperature followed by the exclamation pointed exhortation "Don't Overbake!"  It's been in my recipe box for as long as I've had a recipe box.

Of course I've tweaked the formula over the years, but they still come out of my oven on a regular basis, hot and gooey and smelling like home.  Soft and chewy but not too sweet, these cookies are everything that cookies should be.  Whole wheat flour gives rich flavour and fends off guilt, while chocolate chips aplenty made them decadent as can be.

My One and Only
Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe 

1 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups whole wheat flour
21/2 cups rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1-2 cups chocolate chips*
Cream butter and sugars together with mixer.  Add eggs and vanilla; beat until fluffy.  Combine dry ingredients in separate bowl; add to sugar mixture.  Stir in chocolate chips.  Drop by rustic spoonfulls onto baking sheets.  Bake at 350 for 8 minutes.  Don't over bake!  Makes about 4 dozen.
*Try a combination of chocolate chips and walnuts, or raisins, or dried cranberries and almonds (then use almond extract in place of vanilla).  These cookies are marvelously adaptable.

Do you have a recipe that has stood the test of time?  I'd love to hear about it.

6 comments:

  1. That's my only chocolate chip cookie recipe, too. I haven't tried making them with whole wheat flour, though. Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yum yum! I love how you've got whole wheat flour and rolled oats in them. Thanks for sharing. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a very similar recipe for chocolate chip cookies- but I always vary it too- I love adding in nutritional yeast- it adds a really nice salty-sweet note. Also just started dropping the dough balls on a sheet pan and freezing them that way- then you can have fresh cookies every day (and avoid eating three dozen in two days, in theory anyways)- nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that sounds almost healthy, must be the addition of the oats. I'm reading Angela note above about the nut. yeast...going to have to try that.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have a few standby recipes from middle school Home Ec for things like biscuits and pudding. I recently rediscovered a sweet and sour meatball recipe my mom made for us as a child, yum! I have to disagree with you about the oatmeal in the chocolate chip cookies though, I'm a just-flour fan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I can't wait to try this! Yum!

    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete