Dapple Design Shop will be CLOSED FOR CHRISTMAS from December 10, 2016 to January 4, 2017.

Saturday 21 March 2015

Leaving

Part of the swirl that I've been caught up in these months has to do with an impending move.  It was never the plan to live in our current house forever, but the week after New Years we found a notice in the mail box that spurred us to action.  We renovated, spruced, listed and sold.  We explored neighbourhoods and looked into schools.  We hunted, pondered, wondered and finally bought.  All in just nine weeks.  We're exhausted.


As I wandered the backyard yesterday, it hit me.  This is the last time I'll see the blue Muscari under the apple tree.  That young plumb tree might fruit for the first time this year, but someone else will (I hope) harvest its fruit.  When I trimmed back the peonies last fall, I had no idea that I'd never see those deep pink blooms again.  Suddenly all the spring blooms and early green shoots are even more precious than usual.


There will be a new yard, a blank canvas.  But this was my first garden.  I know the ways the light dances through the leaves and I will miss it.

Joining the Sunlit Sunday fun at My Little Home and Garden.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, such a bittersweet post. Lots of love and memories in that house and garden of yours. But you'll go on to make more of them. Your little one is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little sad and a LOT exciting to be moving! You are leaving behind some lovely blossoms for the new owner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you moved quickly and sounds like you did it quite well. Blessings on your move and new canvas! Lovely shots...

    http://happywonderer.com/2015/03/22/sunlit-spires/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brings back so many aching memories from my childhood. Excitement and loss mingled. Take lots of pictures in the next few weeks; even if they are too painful to look at for a while, you (and Miss S. too) will be so grateful for them later on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally bittersweet and made me shed a tear for the past but excitement for your new future. Wishing nothing but good times and happiness

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a tough one. I've often thought how I'd miss my gardens if we moved. I hope your move will take you to a place that you can enjoy gardening again. The good thing is you'll always have the sweet memories and pictures to reflect on the old as you begin living at your new home. Best wishes for you as you make this transition. That's a precious picture of your daughter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a remarkably short period of time for sprucing up your home, selling and finding a new play to live. Best Wishes for the upcoming move, Cristal. I can well imagine the bittersweet feelings you must be having as you look around your garden. New adventures, new plants, new joyful times are ahead!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden looks and sounds lovely and I know you'll miss it but have a new yard to plant and watch grow. All the best with the packing and moving, something I've never done for 38 years.

    ReplyDelete