Dapple Design Shop will be CLOSED FOR CHRISTMAS from December 10, 2016 to January 4, 2017.

Monday 6 January 2014

Finding January




This tray sits on my dining room table.  The teapot has seen almost daily use since I first ventured out on my own at eighteen.  It has shared dorm rooms and basement suits with me.  Today it's joined by a teacup and candle to make tea more accessible, more appealing.  A little ritual -- a little tea from a teacup -- recharges and inspires me.  Leftover Christmas chocolate and an hour of TV do not, but in those first ten minutes of Miss S's nap time, their appeal is overwhelming.  

I don't usually make New Year's resolutions, but I reflect a bit.  I gaze backward and forward, sharpening my focus on the things that matter most, and savoring the clean slate of a new year.  It's been hard to get going again this January.  Four cases of the flu swept through our family of three between December 23 and New Years, and I was the lucky double winner.  The darkness has gotten to me bit too.  I don't feel especially energized or creative, so I'm trying to cut myself some slack and focus on the little things that inspire me.  A good book.  A walk with Miss S.  Fresh air.  And, of course, tea.

Iris Murdoch writes that "one of the secrets of a happy life is continuous small treats."  I think she might be onto something.





1 comment:

  1. Iris is definitely on to something. Small treats like a cup of tea and a glowing candle help make these darker winter days more lovely and bearable. Hope you soon feel completely back to healthy!

    ReplyDelete